Reasonable Accommodations

What is a reasonable accommodation?

The Housing Authority of the City of Alameda (AHA) provides reasonable accommodations to all applicants and participants with disabilities.

A reasonable accommodation is a change, exception, or adjustment to a rule, policy, practice, or service that may be necessary for a person with a disability to have an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a housing unit; have access to an agency’s facilities, activities, or programs; or have access to public and common-use spaces.

A person with a disability may require a special accommodation in order to have equal access to the programs or housing offered by the AHA. AHA complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilities in any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.

Reasonable Accommodation FAQ

What is a ‘reasonable accommodation’?
A person with a disability may require special accommodations in order to have equal
access to the programs operated by the Alameda Housing Authority (AHA). The types of
reasonable accommodations the AHA can provide include changes, exceptions, or
adjustments to a rule, policy, practice, or service. A person with a disability who requires
an accommodation as a result of the disability may at any time request a reasonable

How do I request a reasonable accommodation?
If an applicant, tenant, or participant indicates that an exception, change, or adjustment to a rule,
policy, practice, or service is needed because of a disability, HUD requires that the AHA
treat the information as a request for a reasonable accommodation, even if no formal
request is made. You may request a reasonable accommodation verbally or in writing;
however, the AHA encourages you to make your request in writing using a reasonable
accommodation request form. You will need to give the AHA authorization to obtain
information from a knowledgeable professional, and this form includes that authorization.

Do I take the request form to my doctor or supply a letter from my doctor?
No. You should return the completed request form to the AHA’s office at:

701 Atlantic Avenue,

Alameda, CA, 94501

Via fax: (844) 327-5415

Via e-mail:

How will my disability be verified?
Third-party verification must be obtained from an individual you identify who is competent
to make the determination. A doctor or other knowledgeable professional who is in a
position to know about your disability may provide verification of a disability. This
professional will assist in establishing that there is a nexus or relationship between the
requested accommodation and your disability. DO NOT provide medical records.
Medical records will not be accepted or retained in your file.

Is the Housing Authority required to approve my request?
No. However, the AHA must approve a request for an accommodation if the following
three conditions are met:

  1. The request was made by or on behalf of a person with a disability,
  2. there is a disability-related need for the accommodation, and
  3. the requested accommodation is reasonable, meaning it would not impose an undue financial and administrative burden on the AHA, or fundamentally alter the nature of the AHA’s operations (including the obligation to comply with HUD requirements and regulations).

How long will it take for me to know if my request has been approved or denied?
After a request for an accommodation is presented, the AHA will respond, in writing, within
14 calendar days of receipt of verification from a knowledgeable professional.

How to Apply

If you or a member of your household requires a reasonable accommodation to participate in any of AHA’s programs or services, please complete the “Request for Reasonable Accommodation” online form that can be accessed via the below link.

Please review the document “Request for Reasonable Accommodation” if you have questions on the process for receiving, reviewing, and responding to a reasonable accommodation request. These same steps are also written below.

Complete the “Request for Reasonable Accommodation” form.

You can request and complete the “Request for Reasonable Accommodation” form either verbally or in written form. Also, please know Housing Authority staff can help you complete the form or take your request verbally. If you have any questions, please contact your Housing Authority case worker or manager. Please be prepared to provide the following information about your Healthcare or Knowledgeable Professional:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • Fax Number

An authorization for the release of information will be needed as part of the process and is included as part of the online “Request for Reasonable Accommodation” form.

Submit the “Request for Reasonable Accommodation” form.

Please complete the required information on the “Request for Reasonable Accommodation” form and submit to Housing Authority staff via online submission, in-person, email, mail, or fax (contact info below). Housing Authority staff will then mail, email, or fax a verification form to your Healthcare Provider or Knowledgeable Professional as needed.

Your Healthcare or Knowledgeable Professional submits health info.

Your Healthcare Provider or Knowledgeable Professional completes the form and either mails (to mailing address below), emails (to email address below), or faxes (to fax number below) to the Housing Authority for consideration by the Reasonable Accommodation Committee (RAC). Please note your Healthcare Provider or Knowledgeable Professional must mail, or email, or fax in the information directly to the Housing Authority within 14 days of receiving the verification form. The form cannot be hand-delivered.

The Reasonable Accommodations Committee will review your request.

The Reasonable Accommodation Committee (RAC) will review your request and the verification form received from your Healthcare Provider or Knowledgeable Professional to reach a decision. The RAC will mail a decision letter, within 14 days from the receipt of the verification form from the Healthcare Provider or Knowledgeable Professional.. The letter will contain information regarding next steps depending on approval or denial of the request, as well as information related to the appeals process.

Reasonable Accommodation Committee

Alameda Housing Authority

701 Atlantic Avenue
Alameda, CA 95601

TEL: (510) 747-4326

FAX: (844) 327-5415


Request Alternative Format

All forms and publications on this website are available in alternative formats. If you would like a copy of a form or publication in an alternative format, please submit your request to 

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information on the reasonable accommodation process for persons with disabilities, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) in:


Inquiries regarding the equal opportunity policies, the filing of grievances, or to request a copy of the Housing Authority’s 504 grievance procedures may be directed to Section 504 Coordinator, Sean Prevette:

Informal Hearings for Reasonable Accommodations Grievances

An individual that filed a request for reasonable accommodation has an opportunity to appeal to the decision by the AHA. AHA will provide the individual an opportunity for an Informal Hearing in accordance with Federal Requirements under CFR 982.554 and 982.555.

When an individual wants to appeal the decision by AHA to deny a request for a reasonable accommodation, an Informal Hearing is provided.

In observance of the following holidays, the Housing Authority of the City of Alameda main office (at 701 Atlantic Avenue) will be closed on Memorial Day (May 27th), Juneteenth (June 19th), Independence Day (July 4th).